if you've ever dealt with allergies, you know how annoying it can be. they can create havoc in all parts of our lives; disrupting our sleep, affecting our mood, and generally keeping us from being as productive as we can be. with this in mind, i thought we'd focus on simple, easy, holistic ways to deal with our allergy symptoms. we'll be discussing how yoga and essential oils can help us get through the season and into summer.
did you know that stress can worsen allergy symptoms as it triggers inflammation within the body? Jeff Migdow, MD. says, "relaxation diminishes fight or flight response, and thereby reduces allergic symptoms." what can we do to reduce stress? yoga of course! (now you knew i was going to say that ;)
there are yoga postures that are designed to help open the chest, lungs and throat to make breathing easier, clear the respiratory tract, and condition the lungs. here are just a few:
- standing side stretch: stretches those intercostal muscles (muscles between the ribs) helping to make breathing easier.
- forward fold: relieves headaches, beneficial for asthma and sinusitis, calms the brain and relieves stress and mild depression.
- downward dog: the release when you stand up can actually help trapped mucous drain from the nasal passages.
- cat and cow: the combination of these two postures gently massage the spine and belly organs as well as opens the chest during cow pose.
- bridge: opens the chest - can also do this lying face up over a fitness ball or over a bolster.
peace, love, & yoga!